Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Never Too Late For Now!

Wow, that reminds me so much of the series 30 Rock!  :-)

Anyway, getting back to maths- I thought we could try matrices now. We're done with the number line and congruence, and I thought I might post some problems for today, but then this seemed urgent, particularly because I'm working on a concept called PCA (Principle Component Analysis) now, which is used heavily in imaging, face recognition and even, as I read in a recent paper, speech recognition! This is a fascinating concept that relies heavily on matrices. Very, very heavily. Also, this is a concept that is poorly explained in many of the tutorials I found. Now, I'm not going to be doing this immediately, but I hope to do so soon so more people out there find it's not such a mesh of complexity as they think it is!

Also, another thing- I'm going to be posting a few lines of code of MATLAB, an excellent, excellent piece of software that helps in computing in posts. A lot of technical papers rely on this, and I've started to do that too! Check these links to get to know this better:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MATLAB
http://www.mathworks.in/products/matlab/

Don't get scared- I'm going to go as slow as possible. I'm doing this because if I had come across MATLAB sooner, I wouldn't have gone through some of the rough patches I did.

However these are rules I strongly encourage you to follow:

1) Please do not start relying TOO heavily on this. You MUST be familiar with the concepts instead of asking it to do everything for you without you knowing what it's doing in the first place! Not following this rule may seem to be an easy way out but trust me, when you start writing codes with increasing complexity, you'll be stuck if you don't understand what each line does!

2)Try and learn concepts of C Programming as well. This will help you greatly in your projects as you get older. I'll try and start posting C lang. codes too as soon as possible!

3)Don't freak out. Don't be frightened. This is the most important rule. There is NOTHING you cannot do or understand. Give it time and ASK, ASK, ASK. Ask away if you have doubts. Remember, no judgment in brainstorming, understanding and asking valid doubts.

Okay, are we set? I will post a new entry and leave this one for people to get to know the rules and changes :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment